Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mr. Dungeons and Dragons or Bust

I love the orphans in Mexico. So much so that I decided I would share my love for the orphans with a boy I had been dating for about 2 months. The kids LOVED him and I thought about what a great guy I had snagged. Good with kids, likes to travel, up for adventure... the list went on and on. So naturally I was excited once we got home and had some alone time together. The plan was a nice dinner in Laguna Beach.

Visiting orphans in Mexico usually warrants a long shower, so my amazing new boyfriend waited downstairs while I got ready and tried to look extra cute for him that night. While I was picking out the perfect outfit I got a text message from him. I was so excited! I immediately thought - oh I bet he is so excited and is telling me to hurry up so we can be together! Wishful thinking... the text read,"I am so not into this girl. How do I get out of here?"

After collecting my confused thoughts I responded, "well you could have just told me." He rushed upstairs to apologize profusely trying to explain that the text wasn't meant for me. I was graceful but asked him to leave.

Thinking that this was just another dating disaster for the books I settled down into a cozy night alone with a good book. Then I got another text from the guy who didn't know how to work a cell phone. It read "I finally got away! Meet you at the Dungeons and Dragons Convention in 30 minutes."

Dissed for a fantasy world video game. Cool...

12 comments:

Amy said...

Hahahhahaha. I hadn't heard the last part of this story!

Tracy said...

How does a person not know who they are texting.... really. What a nerdy idiot.

Emily said...

Ok, I can see slipping up once, but TWICE?? What an idiot? And Erin, I think its hilarious that you were crushing on a guy who is obsessed with dungeons and dragons..thank goodness it didn't work! You would have figured it out soon though. :)

jamie hixon said...

Ok... I cannot believe your luck, Erin. You need to write a book. I'll help you, if you want.

Aubrey Messick said...

I love dungeons and dragons. Can you make sure he gets my number? Thanks. xoxo

Nel Kelley Grahamson said...

Having finally met you, I feel I can now comment. And I OBJECT strenuously to the tenor of this post and many of the comments. I cast Magic Missile at all of you.

Dungeons and Dragons is not, in itself, a video game, although it has been the basis for several video games. You play it using a variety of dice, rulebooks, and your imagination. Pizza, Dr. Pepper, and Mom's basement are helpful, but not, as is commonly thought, essential.

Dork Conventions are a blast and you probably should have tried to go with him, if only for the costumes. It's like Halloween, but with better craftsmanship and obscurer references.

Gen Con Babes and...Ring Wraiths?:
http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2009/04/11/roleplayconventioncosplay120T387U265g.jpg

Finding Mr. Wrong said...

Nel Kelly Grahamson I have definitely never met you but thank you for your post.

Nel Kelley Grahamson said...

How dare you! I am doubly insulted. I sat by you in Kristen's church, but, uh, oh yeah, I used my real name and not my sweet internet nickname. (Also, just to make clear: I am not Wendy.) Good work with the blog.

Finding Mr. Wrong said...

Oh now I remember - is that an alias you are using? Didn't know you were such a fantasy world fanatic. I will have to try it sometime:) I have always wanted to dress up like a Dragon and run around with a sword.

joanie said...

wow seriously the guy can navigate an amateur fantasy game but is unable to navigate a cell this one sounds to me like your intelligence level had him feeling incredibly inadequate. Oh and btw keep posting your writing is great and your tenacity for tolerance is even greater.

Bella'capri said...

Dungeons and Dragons!!! Sadly I have heard of people getting texts like that before, man that sucks Erin. I bet it wasn't funny at the time. Would you like me to fly over to the states and smack that guy around a bit???? I hope you catch you a good one soon.

Christa Jeanne said...

Oh, honey - I totally remember when this happened!!! Seriously, I wish I could just photoshop him out of all the pictures from that trip. What a jerk. But that last nugget about the Dungeons and Dragons Convention? Wow. Hadn't heard that before, and it makes the story that much better. Girl, you deserve SO much more!!!!